Well I have since put these little guys into the biddie pen. They grew so fast in just over a week I had to put them in the larger coop and they are loving it.. I took the removable nest boxes out so that they would not be using them to do their business in and will keep them here for a few more days and hopefully be able to let them into the run. I still have some revamping to do.. Just finished putting the top on the cabinet run cause Boo Boo was showing them how to get up top and fly out and had to keep chasing biddies down and putting them back..
Here is a better shot as well as a criss cross roost and 3 areas for nest boxes I used some plastic storage containers that had air holes in them easy to take out and clean.
This is their new abode I used a crib side for the little roost just cut out every other dowl.
Hatter or Hattie not sure yet but we do know it is a buff laced polish our surprise chick when we got the bunch
Buff Orpington having a drink
This is the biddie pen when it was finished up top the game birds are underneath of it .. the 5 biddies/pullets are in the right hand side now and Lucy and Charlie Brown on the left with the run.
the sliding door dividing the sleep area from the play area and I even put a swing in.
They have grown even more since I took this picture.
Boo Boo went broody and hatched out 5 game bird biddies I had to put fertile eggs underneath of her so the neighbor gave me some.
This is her broody pen that I built and it served them well for the first couple weeks and I moved them to the outside cabinet coop.
I use what ever I have handy and sometimes use my creativity to make things out of nothing.. I also built a nest box for the cabinet coop cause I also put Betsy back in there.. We have been having a lot of trouble with predators so I have been keeping them inside the runs for safety.. I lost the 2 hens I had been nursing because of that just recently and one of the main Queen hens about a month or so ago. The one thing I have learned is some other techniques of keeping them away. I do not have a infrared cam so I keep the radio on at night.. the other thing I am doing for the hot weather is keeping a fan on in the shed where the Buffs are to keep the air flowing.. I also still have the goats in there at night but their corral is done except the door and still have to put some kind of s shelter up for them before I can take them out of the shed.
It has been quite some time since I updated… so this is what I been up to lately… I’ve been building pens and raising up chicks.. as well as a young pair of goats and they all have been keeping me very busy as I venture to different chicken sites to get some information on some things like what to do with an ornery rooster lol. I think he has some game in him cause he just does not like me at all yet when my husband is with me he stays to himself.
We lost one hen from the original flock that I started with and have been nursing a few cause these new puppies that we got decided that they were play toys. So now that I know that it was them and not just an attack from another animal I have had to resort to putting them on a line, which I never wanted to do. So here are my new Brood and they are a little over a week old now…
The day I got them
In the brooder
All huddled together
looks like a hat on the head
looks like a hat
Looking at me
So far I have only lost 1 chick, but ordered 22 females, 3 males and they gave me a extra straight run(which could be male or female) and threw in an exotic and I have no idea which one it is so this little wonder is a surprise and I will have to figure out what breed it he/she is when it is a little older and has full plumage..
A couple weeks or so before they came my Game Hen hatched out 9 biddies and here are the pictures of them…
Very good mama
Chick pecking on mama’s beak
She finally let me see them
Here is the Daddy!
So now I have also had built the run for the older ones and started building the Biddie pen on top of the game bird pen cause the posts were already there to get it going.
a small over view of the outside before the top was put on it
Showing the slats I put on top which will be covered with wire on the run part
All this wood was given to me free so I used it.
Okay that is what I had when the trees started leafing out then we ended up with cool temps and a lot of rain so it sat and just recently was able to get back to it.. We had to make a divider for the area that will be their roost and feeding area as well as cover for rainy weather… So pictures to follow in my next post… and update on them.